Thursday, October 12, 2006

Mercy, Mercy, Mercy (which inspired this post thank you Cannonball Adderly)

Now I know that all you groove-kittens are waiting to see what the word is on the Chronicals of New York, but that's gonna have to wait a bit. Why? Cause I need more time to wrap my brain around it all actually. I'm still in a bit of a spin here. It's almost Friday which means I have been back almost a week and it seems as if a day went by. Scary no? Well dig it babies, there will be the word, oh yes there will. And I'll preach it like no other. Tales to curl your hairs, make ya cry, make ya laugh, and maybe make ya smile. And yes, there are pictures galour.

Tonight though, I been thinking about a little somethin that bugs me off and on. Somethin that I can't seem to get much past in the last couple of years and that is..."whatcha gonna do with your life?"

Now when you're growing up you are asked constantly what you want to be right? I never said, I wanna be working at a coffee shop slingin' the joe for folks that may or may not care. I first wanted to be a surgeon. How's that for a kick in the rubber parts eh? Well that didn't work out cause school and I don't have the same feelings for each other. So I wound up wanting to be an actor. Ok, that's a groove I could dig on. And I did. I did that groove for over 15 years out of my 40. I wasn't ever a "pro", but I had my moments ya know? And I don't like the idea of braggin, so just have it on the lowdown that I have worked on two feature films...once as a featured extra which got paid for it. Then, it all came crashing down on me and I couldn't handle it much more. So, here I am a coffee pusher doin my best to get through it.

Now, lately I've been thinking which is dangerous as we all know. I started recording my buddy's blog just for fun since I don't have the dosh yet to grab my own hostings to do podcastings and I'm not entirely sure what I'd do there anyways. And it hit me as I sit there reading in my ... er ... library on a magazine about videogames. It was an article about voice work and actors that do it. Well there ya go. I figured, why not try and be a voice actor. I got the acting thing under my belt. I got a lot of different characters I can do vocally, plus a pleathora of dialects I can do reasonably well. Now the hard part babies...how do ya go out there and do it. That's the part I have to start lookin into.

But I digressed from the bomchicka I was puttin down which was this...if you didn't grow up to be what you wanted to be, what keeps us from doing something else that we might want? No one said that you have to do that 9-5 grinding forevr at where you're at right? So what if you change up the records in your personal jukebox a little and come back to the tunes you dig later? Maybe you wanted to be a jazz sax man (and who wouldn't?), but ya realize that blowin your axe isn't making the cash. So, dig the 9-5 business deal for a while and come back to blowin on the side til you can do the "Axin' is my life" for pay. Course what I'm puttin down also doesn't garauntee that there's cash in your pockets but hey...that's life babies.

Guess I'm learnin slowly that life is just a dream and you really gotta go out there and grab some of it. Hell, one little slice of my mind of New York that is ingrained at this point was walking down West 10th trying to get to Union Square by hoofin' it, and the earphones in as I slid down the street to my dance mix I pushed together. The whole feel was magic like anything could happen, and there wasn't a care in the world, just me and the beat and my feet and the street. And babies, I could see myself from outside myself and I was smilin all the way down to my toes which were rockin it out as I pedulated and swung it down the pavement.

And that my babies it what keeps me smilin right now. The knowledge that I may not be there, and it may not be the scene at the moment, but anything can happen for the best. Hell, maybe I'll try and learn me to play the sax and push some blues out there which is gonna burn up the night sky like a cryin' pheonix. And I garauntee ya this....somewhere someone's feet are gonna tap and twiddle down a street boppin and sloppin it with a smile in their souls.

Til next time groove-niks, hepcats, and lovely lovely ladies. Don't be worryin bout the changes that may come, cause you can always change em up again. Now get out there and do some livin'!

Be safe. Be well. Be PROUD! Be Loved!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post, Morph. Brava! It's inspiring to see you so jazzed up about life! Love you girl.

Anonymous said...

INCREDIBLE POST!!!! You are exactly right!!!!! :o) I can't wait to see your pictures! ;o) Thank you so much for stopping by & for being such a WONDERFUL friend! You're the BEST! :o)

The Persian said...

I can just picture you walking around in NYC with your earphones on, oblivious to the world around you.

I am so happy you had a great time, with Rey as a host, how could you not?

*hugs*

Miladysa said...

Amazing post!

Ryan said...

new york nice bro but it sure anit atlanta! love ya bro!

Miladysa said...

Thinking of you... hope everything is OK.