Tuesday, January 17, 2006

And I said HELLO NURSE!

Now, before I get toooo deeply into this, I have to say that I run the risk now of being (insert dramatic music here) .... an optomist. Yes, yes I know I know. That little black gothy heart of mine full of misery and gloom that I brush off ever so often actually shines up rather nicely when I try. And yes, he was really cute :)

So, as fate seems to want to keep me in limbo, or simply to point out that I'm being a silly prat, today's events at the store were rather normal...until...I was getting ready to leave work and finishing up a few things. I look up at the counter and see a line of maybe 5 people that I don't know so I pay them no mind except for this one guy. He looks at me and kinda points and makes hand motions about my t-shirt (a Vampire the Masquerade shirt I stole from a friend). "Well," I think, "Now that's a nice piece of something interesting and since he seems to know what my shirt is about..."

He's ordered his drink and I'm trying to be cool about this because as he gets closer I notice he's cuter than I thought hehe. He was trying to get to the train station and ordered his Mocha (yup, you tend to notice these little things) to go. We started talking about VTM which I don't actually play but he does (and how hasn't owned something dorky in thier lives like 20 sided dice?) and I notice his necklace. Wierd what you do and don't notice isn't it? It was a series of beads each bound separately in leather and...well they looked rainbow-esque to me. "Woo hoo!", says I in my head and just as I'm about to really launch into conversation with him, hopefully finding out his name...I'm handed the phone and it's my bleeding boss wanting some information and I have to move to somewhere quieter to hear him. My mystery man left :( Now the only thing I can think right now (and have been thinking since he left) is this; 1) I should have run down to the train station after I got off the phone becuase I was technically off work, and 2) I SO hope that he comes back in tomorrow! Ah...Mr. Mocha, you are/were a dream. So maybe this is the universe's way of saying to me
"Pst. Buddy"
Me: "Huh? What?"
"It's gonna happen for ya and you'll never see it coming"

Well that was the main point of this little happy-hearted, rediculously hopefully entry. But wait! There's more.

Yesterday was Martin Luther King Jr. day here in the states. I'm pretty sure that he's known world wide and if not, that's rather sad. While I didn't post last night (because I kinda got into a phone conversation with Rey and then fell asleep watching tv), I meant to say something about him and more importantly heros. (Thank you Jim for being one of the few folks that mentioned him on your blog)

See, heros to me aren't the guys with rippling muscles that fly through the air. They're just what John Lennon wrote about ( I love me some Working Class Hero). They're really just folks that seem to strive harder, and sometimes have to be an insurmountable odd. I didn't get it why folks were so upset over John Lennon's death at the time. I was young and ignorant to tell the truth. Here was another man of peace, who wanted peace and spoke out about peace, gunned down. Why is it that everyone that really seems to strive to make the world a better place for people in general is cut down that way? Martin Luther King Jr is most definately a hero as was Ghandi and John Lennon. Each one of these men tried to raise the public conciousness in some way. From what I know (and those that are better with history please correct me), MLK patterned his non-violent protests after what Ghandi had done.

Heros, for me, are the amazing people that attempt to make a change in the world for the better. I'd like to be that kind of person. I arrogantly sometimes think that maybe something I write (plays, poetry, etc) will help make that sort of difference. And yes, policemen and firement? Heros. Just in what they do for a living makes them a hero to put themselves out there on the front line for people they don't know. Same goes for those people in the military as much as I dislike war...I applaud their efforts in keeping people safe from harm.

So, who are your heros? Perhaps Hellen Keller? John Kennedy? Langston Hughes? Harvey Milk? Come on....tell me. And, better if I don't know who they are because then I have more to go in search of and to be inspired by. DISH IT! :)

Lastly, a big shout out and much love even though I don't know him to Simon at Secret Simon. Go check him out. Seriously, he seems like an amazing guy.

Peace

7 comments:

Rey Rey said...

Damn, I DID keep you on the phone pretty late last night too, didn't I?

So heroes? Well, my heroes are pretty lame... I used to idolize Sir Bob Geldof for doing his whole Live Aid thing (plus, I'm a HUGE Boomtown Rats fan), but when I interviewed him, he was a prick to me. And I used to consider David Gray one of my heroes because he writes such amazing songs... but that's not a reason to make him my hero. And I could be corny and say my dad since he's a surgeon and saved sooo many people's lives, but I've never looked at him as my hero. Hmmm... I don't think I have one. Is that sad or what?

Steve said...

I'm not sure there are any real heroes anymore and that's kinda sad. Oh, and good luck with Mr. Mocha. Report back ASAP!

Anonymous said...

As soon as you're born they make you feel small
By giving you no time instead of it all
Till the pain is so big you feel nothing at all
A working class hero is something to be

They hurt you at home and they hit you at school
They hate you if you're clever and they despise a fool
Till you're so fucking crazy you can't follow their rules
A working class hero is something to be

When they've tortured and scared you for 20 odd years
Then they expect you to pick a career
When you can't really function you're so full of fear
A working class hero is something to be

Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and classless and free
But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see
A working class hero is something to be

There's room at the top they are telling you still
But first you must learn how to smile as you kill
If you want to be like the folks on the hill

A working class hero is something to be
If you want to be a hero just follow me
If you want to be a hero well just follow me

The Persian said...

How many of these missed opportunities do we never even realize are near hits? I wonder that myself sometimes...

My biggest hero would have to be, um..well, let me get back to you on that!

*HUGS*

Anonymous said...

Heroes? Well, being the geek I am, I'll start with Stephen Hawking for being the most brilliant man alive while being trapped in a body that doesn't work. Mrs. Kandeler, my senior-year high school English AP teacher who challenged me and pushed me and believed in me, helping me to succeed in life as much as my education. Then there's Carl Sagan for being so uniquely gifted at bringing science to the masses without losing sight of its impact to humanity's mental and emotional states (before his death, that is). And then there's Rosa Parks for being heroic without trying, and bringing about significant social change by simply standing up for her own human dignity (the best heroes are those who don't try to be). Finally, my own mother is my greatest hero. She did her best to raise her children to be blind to all the normal prejudices Americans tend to carry with them, and she always made clear that being humane under all circumstances is the only way to truly live. There are others, but those are the most important.

Miladysa said...

I do hope the mystery man returns!

A few of my heros:
My father - a truly wonderful man
JC - I think he must have been an awesome man.
Sir Bob - mrsecret he must have been having an off day - honest :)
John Lennon
Dr Barnardo

Heroines another day :)

Great post Michael!

Mike said...

Just stopping in to say Hi