Thursday, February 16, 2006

Home....and happy

I rarely post pictures of myself here because for the most part I don't like most pictures of me. I think I take bad picture and on the odd occaission I do sometimes wind up look ok or good in them. BUT...This one (although I hate the fact I look like I'm smirking), I'm keeping.

Yup...that's me and my "husband" (although he'll never know it) Anthony Rapp at his signing tonight. I made it just in time to hear him do a reading from the book, then there was a short Q & A session, and then he sang a few songs. I swear I could have friggin cried when he sang Without You from Rent. (oddly enough he also sang Losing My Religion) When I got to the front of the line, I was too tongue-tied and nervous to really say what I wanted to. I feel I probably looked a bit glassy eyed but...

He did ask me one question about myself. The same one that everyone asks. Best example I can give you of this question cropping up everywhere is this. I was doing a production of A Christmas Carol and in the audience was the artistic director from another theatre. My boss' wife worked for her (Timothy Near...yeah she's a woman). After the show my boss' wife said all Timothy asked about me was "How tall is he?".....and that's exactly what Anthony Rapp asked me as well, "How tall ARE you?" Sigh....wish he had at least asked something more interesting.

Still, he was beautiful and having read the first chapter of his memoirs on the production of Rent...I'm a little more of a fan because before he got the role of Mark in Rent what was he doing? Slingin' coffee for Starbucks. Maybe there is hope for me yet!

Presenting the happy couple:

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I wish you all the very best. I really enjoy your laid back writing style, it makes you feel welcome and comfortable. I'm just an ol' fag hagitha making my rounds drinking my espresso and decided to visit. Take care ok

Rey Rey said...

Awwww, I'm so glad yesterday worked out perfectly. Even though you were tongue-tied, I'm sure he knew how appreciative you are.

And who you kidding, that's a great engagement picture! Did he say yes?

Steve said...

Excellent 'happy couple' pic, Michael. Hope you have a great weekend. (How tall are you, BTW?)

The Persian said...

Great picture! And well, how tall are you?

Milla said...

You are so good looking M! You have the kindest eyes and the greastes smile :)

Miladysa said...

Fantastic news!

What a wonderful photograph.I think you are most photogenic and a handsome man too!

I remember being present at a reading given by the Liverpool poet Adrian Henri nearly 30 years ago now. I sat and listened to him read his wonderful poetry and then asked him to autograph my book. I do not think he even looked at me just signed and moved on. How wonderful that your other half not only looked at you but asked you a question too. I am sure he will always remember you and when you are famous he will mention you previous meeting when asking for your autograph and then... :)