Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Good Night Coretta...we'll miss you

To quote Mr. Carroll "O frabjous day! Calloh! Callay!" Why so happy you may ask? I don't know. I just know that things seem to be feeling better in general. I got paid today and it was more than I was expecting. I got a check from AT&T...why, I don't know but money is money. I got to talk to my little brother Ryan for a while this afternoon...life's pretty damn good.

This of course all comes after finding out that Coretta Scott King died. Joey Destino had a lovely post about her today. I myself agree with Joey in wondering, where are the heros now? Who is going to stand up for the little guy? Well...maybe it's time we all do. You, me, everyone. See, I'm not a fighter. I'm a relatively quiet living guy (not saying I'm quiet but quiet living...live and let live), but eventually this is all going to go too far and if we as just normal folks don't do something...well I won't want to live here in the states to tell ya the truth. It wouldn't be because I don't love my country, it will definately have to do with an oppressive government and how they try to rule our lives. I'm not trying to be "political" here...just...unfortunately that's where my head is on this one.

When I was younger, I had a hero. I had a lot of them actually. I looked up to FDR, JFK, and MLK (yeah I know enough with the initials but if ya don't know who they are...ask). Then I learned about Ghandi. Then I learned about Malcom X. Now, somewhere in there I saw a movie with this actor. This guy that just rivetted me. He stole the entire film and I was obsessed with learning about him. I started reading articles about him anywhere I could find them. I watched every movie he had made (including a couple that really aren't very good), and he became someone I looke up to greatly. He was actually younger than me, but he had this "aura" of peace, and he was into PETA (people for the etichical treatment of animals), Greenpeace, Vegitarianism (something I'm afraid I don't think I could do), and he was sort of soft spoken and shy. I loved what the image was....if it was true or not, I'm going to keep that image of him because he died. My hero, my acting icon, died on Halloween night outside of a club in Los Angeles, ODing. Some folks afterwards tried to make him out to be a really "troubled" person...drugs...harsh upbringing. Well ya know what? Who isn't f'ed up in some ways?

I'm sure that there are things about JKF, MLK, FDR, Malcom X and probably even Ghandi that aren't necessarily great. They probably made bad decissions, made stupid mistakes, even maybe went against the law (be it the US laws, the Musslim laws, etc). But what do we remember about these people? They tried. They tried to change things for the better. They wanted better lives for everyone. (yes even Malcom X) They struggled and all but one of them was assassinated. River wasn't, and neither was FDR...but the principals they tried to instill, the hope that they gave, and their striving to make things better for this world? That's pretty heroic.

So God Bless you Corretta Scott King. I hope that we will see your likes again one day soon.

Wow that got really heavy there. Didn't intend to rant like that, but sometimes, it just sort of comes out. So now..I think I'm gonna eat my dinner, watch a little movie, ponder what I am going to be making for my friend's birthday (it has to be Southbeach Diet friendly) on Sunday, close my little peepers...and get ready for tomorrow.

Peace

7 comments:

The Persian said...

I became so sad when I heard of Coretta's passing. We both had the same fascination with River Phoenix I see, I still remember exactly where I was when I heard he had died. Sometimes I think about where he would be now had he not been so suddenly taken away.

Miladysa said...

I shall have to look up Coretta - I apologise for my ignorance!

Brilliant post, wonderful sentiments!

Mike said...

Just stopping by to say hey!!

Steve said...

I saw Joey's excellent post, too... very sad. By the way, I got your e-mail and I'm glad you've got that good-feeling vibe going on, too.

Ryan said...

hey bro where u been no post we need a weekend up date!

Milla said...

HI darling.. Just me checking into yupo and let you know that you have been missed :)

This post was very thoughfull..Liked it a lot.

Take care...Kram Kram

Unknown said...

Really cool commentary.You must remember,"even the greatest minds often have troubled souls." BJM
I'll be back,really real and I like that. Have a good one in Cali!