Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Lammas, my little brother, peace, and babies


Oh darlins. As I'm sitting here listenin' to Ivri Lider (for those that know how to read Hebrew..try here)sing to me in Hebrew (ok, I have no idea what's being said/sung but I love him nonetheless), I'm still reeling from going over to D&H's tonight and meeting my little nephew. I'm sure you're all going to be quite violently ill hearing about this little bugger so much but...he is so damn CUTE!

There's something magikal about holding a baby in your arms. And yes, I spelled that properly for the intention of the word. I remind folks that as a pagan, there is a difference between magik and magic. The one with the "c" is done by stage magicians and illusionist. The one with the "k" talks about the mystic, spell casting, etc. So....I digress,

I held him today and for the first time in my life, I felt this little wriggly guy and it felt oddly so right. He may not be my kid, but I know now that I am going to love him like he was/is. Five days old and looking into his eyes, I did see the entire universe. I know that he wasn't really looking at me yet because he's not quite old enough to really pick up on that kinda thing...but he looked at me. God I felt such a rush of love pouring out to him. I can't wait to see what the next year is going to bring them and me. I'm planning on spoiling this kid as much as I can (well within limits. I think a little spoiling is a good thing, too much is a bad thing).

The down side of the day is that my little brother Ryan was taken to the hospital. He has pneumonia. You best believe that tonight on Lammas, all my thoughts are focussed out there to him. So, even if you don't know him, just take the time to send him all your good thoughts for a speedy recovery ok? He's a really dear person to me. Yeah, I love my friends a lot. So Ryan, even though you can't read this right now...get well buddy.

And last night I had a thought (yeah that's dangerous now ain't it?). While I haven't tried what Alden suggested to me about how to try and make my five minute post a permanent link at the top (for a while), I think it's worth trying. Why? Because it hit me. Ya know what chittlins? We have progressed so far in terms of violent actions that you don't have to be anywhere near anyone to do them bodily harm. Ya thought about that? We have sniper rifles, missles that you don't have to be anywhere near your "enemy" to fire, satellites that tell us where to send things to blow folks up....and you never have to see the person. Is that scary and sad to any one but me?

I'm not anti-gun persey. But I tell ya, if you think about the fact that in the "old days" you had to know how to wield a sword and you had to look at the person you were fighting...well, it almost makes the concept of what we have now far too clean if ya ask me. I wonder how many people would be able to fire that missle if they could see the eyes of the person it was being sent to blow up? It just bothers me a lot lately. Drive by shootings? Do they even seen the person they're firing at? And what would they do if they had only a sword, or mace, or two handed ax? Yeah babies...anyone can pull a trigger, or push a button. It's almost impersonal. Just wish I knew why we keep coming up with new inventive ways to hurt each other bodily.

Ack....maudlin! But it still plays in my mind like a bad loop. Kinda like when you get that loop of "all the leaves are brown (leaves are brown)" stuck in your head. And I tell ya, I don't want any of my nieces, or nephews having to deal with these thoughts, but I think they're stickin around unfortunately. That is until we get our heads out of our asses.

In the meantime my lovely little birdies, please don't forget to take some time and think about peace ok? And please don't forget my friend Ryan in your prayers either if you wouldn't mind. Even if you don't believe in a God, just send him some good thoughts ok? AND...know that out here, somewhere in the frey, there's someone thinking about you as well..and hoping that you're well and happy. So you better be having a FAAAAbulous time of life babies... or Mama is gonna kick some collective ass!

Be safe. Be well. Be PROUD! Be Loved!!

5 comments:

Brad said...

I hope Ryan gets better soon. Michael, you sound like you have a terminal case of baby love!

Congratulations.

Anonymous said...

God bless u, Ryan & the baby!
Congrats! :o)Wonderful post!!!! YOU'RE THE BEST!!!!! :o) I can't wait to chat with you again buddy! Take care! :oD

Anonymous said...

Hey Hey! :o) Thank you so much for your comment, I appreciate it sooooooo much!!!! :o) It really meand a lot to me! Thank you so much for being such a wonderful friend to me! YOU'RE THE BEST! :o)

The Persian said...

I remember the first time I held my older son, seconds after he was born. I looked into his eyes and started to tear up, as if I was holding the most beautiful and innocent of all gods creations.
(corny but seriously it's true)
sheesh has the time flown by...he's not such the angel anymore, but I still get that feeling even now when I look at him.

:)

OLY said...

Hey special one..

Sendin some good healing thoughts to your brothers way..

You know I think it is important how in your post you talk about not having to be in the vicinity to cause harm, just by thought it is as powerful as a gun.

So it's about time we use the most powerful weapon we all have for some good..

Here's hopin ure bro makes a speedy recovery :)

xox