Friday, April 28, 2006

Thank you Iris

So what do you do when you're feeling rather down and don't want to deal with anyone or talk to anyone? I turn to music. It's the one place that all my thoughts and pains seem to vanish eventually. I'm more lyrically based than musically. Sometimes, it's just about the words and the way that the singer puts them out there. It's an emotional release if you will. That's where I was last night, feeling all out of sorts, all confused as to how I felt about things. So I turned to a mix cd I had put together to remind me of what's actually important in life.

This is my Bearded Iris that just opened yesterday when I wasn't taking notice of it. I stared at it a lot last night, suddenly seeing how beauty really was there in front of my eyes and I just couldn't, or wouldn't see it. I saw my best friend's son with him, and watched his eyes beam with joy. Same thing as seeing my Iris.



So, I've been thinking about this song a lot today. LIVE is a band that seems to have slipped into obscurity on the radio, but I still love them. This was the song that I keep hearing in my head when I see this flower in my garden.

If you've ever known love
If you've ever known peace
If you've ever known joy
Make sure that you are on time

If you've ever known war
If you've ever known pain
If you've ever said no
Make sure that you are on time
that you are on time
that you are on time
we are on time

For you are the world

For you are the world

For you are the world

For you are the world

If you've ever known love
If you've ever known peace
If you've ever known joy
Make sure that you are on time
You are on time


If you've ever known war
And if you've ever known pain
And if you've ever said no
Make sure that you are on time
you are on time
that you are on time
that you are on time

For you are the world

For you are the world

For you are the world

For you are the world

Fighting, mating, warring
you are all this now

Be aware, not scared
look at me now
silence

I say
You are the world

You are the world

You are the world

I say
You are the world

If you've ever known love
If you've ever known peace
If you've ever known joy
Make sure that you are on time
(from Mental Jewelry, lyrics by Ed Kowalczyk) I took the liberty to write the lyrics as they are sung on the album actually, now how you’ll see them listed in typical lyrics in the liner notes.

Actually their first album is much more impressive to me sometimes than the subsequent albums they put out. Just something in what Ed was trying to say in those songs really reaches me like the other albums haven’t. I’ll still buy the new one in June when it comes out. I missed my opportunity to go and see them a few weeks ago, but that’s ok. They are still out there and I’m sure I’ll see them again.

I don’t know, or have the savy to post the actual song, but if you can find an MP3 of it, give it a listen. Hell, buy the album and just listen to what Ed has to say.

Somehow the world isn’t so tight and cramped anymore. Somehow between sleep and food, the sun and my Irises, the world isn’t so bad. I have beauty, and friends that love me and I love them, and what more can you really need in life? One more parting shot from Ed,

I know that I should think about giving
And think about
Helping out
And think about
Think about living
But I can't seem to rescue myself

Peace Is Now


Be well. Be happy. Be loved!

9 comments:

Michael The Shadow said...

Scary thing is....I just put it in the pot, put it in a spot where it would get a lot of sun and added water heh.
Then again, we had a lot more rain up here than you guys down there so ???

Steve said...

Music does that to you, but then again, it does different things for different people. Great pic, Michael, and I hope you are well, too. Have a great weekend.

Brad said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Brad said...

Every time I try to leave a comment over here, Blogger chooses that moment to go nuts and eat it!

Here I go again:

I caught LIVE at an outdoor concert along the banks of the Mississippi River several years ago.

A huge thunderstorm came out of the west with lightning, thunder and rain.

They launched into "Lightning Crashes".

This is one of those memories I'll have for the rest of my life, because it was so beautiful and moving.

I did NOT mind standing in the downpour at that moment.

Ryan said...

remember big bro u r loved by your little bro in georgia!

Michael The Shadow said...

Steve: I know that you had a pretty good week last week :) I hope that you two get to see each other soon again. Yup...I love me the romance and two men in love :)

Brad: I am sooooo jealous! That sounds so damn amazing. I caught them a couple of years back here in SF. Only time I've gotten to see LIVE but I'm desparately waiting for the new album. Did I mention I'm a big fan of thunder and lightening?

Ryan: Little bother you are the BEST! Ya know I love you tons too. Sounds like things for you and Mike are really ramping up (not that way you nasty boy hehe). Good for you two!

Mike said...

Love the flower pic,its beautiful.

Michael The Shadow said...

Ah Nykk, gardening is easy..well sort of. You just find the plants that you really like, pop them in a pot with earth and add some water :) Course, then again...sometimes they get picky heh

Glad y'all liked the Iris. It just bloomed again for me and there is one more about to bloom. I'm hoping that it keeps going like this for a while cause...well they're pretty heh.

guy among the trees said...

I love your iris photo, a gorgeous soft blue. Great blog, as well!